Accessing Home works to bring low- and moderate-income families home through partnerships with affordable housing providers throughout Rhode Island.
Through this initiative, NWBRV and the Housing Network of RI partner with community development organizations, public housing authorities, and other non-profits to equip Rhode Islanders with the resources necessary to acquire and maintain affordable, high quality housing.
Accessing Home is currently recruiting AmeriCorps members. Apply today!
Accessing Home has a cohort of 20 AmeriCorps members placed at partner organizations across the state. Our members are trained and professionally certified as Resident Services Coordinators to provide resource referrals, case management, facilitation, and much more.
Accessing Home AmeriCorps members primarily deliver 2 services:
- Rent RIte: A classroom-based curriculum designed to prepare prospective renters for successful tenancy. The course focuses on budgeting, credit, and the rental process.
- Back on Track: An eviction prevention program that provides one-on-one coaching and individualized intervention planning to tenants experiencing housing instability.
- Reduce barriers to affordable housing, such as poor credit scores, for Rhode Island residents;
- Transition economically disadvantaged Rhode Island families into stable housing; and
- Eliminate evictions resulting from delinquency and non-criminal activity.
Resources for current Accessing Home AmeriCorps members can be found here.
To learn more about federal AmeriCorps programs, visit www.AmeriCorps.gov.
Since 2016, Accessing Home has placed 24 AmeriCorps members at 11 organizations around RI. To date, those members have:
- Provided eviction prevention services to 225 individuals
- Taught 28 courses of Rent RIte, a tenant education curriculum
- Provided 416 individuals with housing acquisition services
- Served more than 14,000 hours
- Received more than 1,100 hours of training
- Earned 7 professional Resident Services Coordinator certifications