Accessing Home works to bring low- and moderate-income families home through partnerships with affordable housing providers throughout Rhode Island.
Accessing Home initiative launched in 2016 to help Rhode Island families acquire and maintain affordable, safe, and healthy housing.
Through this initiative, NWBRV and the Housing Network of RI are partnering with community development organizations, public housing authorities, and other non-profits to equip Rhode Islanders with the resources necessary to acquire affordable, high quality housing.
Accessing Home consists of two main programs:
- Rent RIte: A classroom-based model designed to prepare prospective renters, currently on waiting lists, for successful tenancy. The course focuses on budgeting, credit, and the rental process.
- Back on Track: An eviction prevention program that provides one-on-one counseling and individualized intervention planning to residents at-risk of eviction.
By implementing these programs, Accessing Home will:
- Reduce barriers to affordable housing for Rhode Island residents, such as poor credit scores;
- Transition economically disadvantaged Rhone Island families into stable housing; and
- Eliminate evictions resulting from delinquency and non-criminal activity.
Accessing Home has a cohort of 20 AmeriCorps members placed at partner organizations across the state. Our members are trained in resource referals, case managment, facilitation, and much more. To learn more about federal AmeriCorps programs, visit www.AmeriCorps.gov. Resources for current Accessing Home AmeriCorps members can be found here.
Apply to be an Accessing Home AmeriCorps Member
Accessing Home is currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 program year. To apply, follow this link. Applications will be accepted until Monday, January 15, 2018 or until the service positions are filled. In addition to your application, please submit your resume to email@example.com. For more information or to request a special accommodation please contact the Program Manger, Laura Roach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The success of Accessing Home is predicated on the great team of housing providers from across the state working on this initiative, including: Central Falls Housing Authority, Church Community Housing Corporation, Newport Housing Authority, One Neighborhood Builders/OHC, Pawtucket Central Falls Development, Pawtucket Housing Authority, and Providence Housing Authority.
Our innovative program is made possible by the generous support of our sponsors: The Corporation for National and Community Service, NeighborWorks America, The United Way of Rhode Island, and Citizens Bank.