NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley (NWBRV), is offering community members the opportunity to utilize space in the Millrace District for programming that supports creative outlets for community members. NWBRV is looking for creative people and artists interested in using their talents to build community and make positive physical, economic, or social impacts through music, art, culture, networking and creativity events or programming. This is something that is often called Creative Placemaking. It honors the insights of all community members, including the people most often unheard, and promotes a place where all are included and welcomed.
At NWBRV, we define a creative very broadly; both trained professionals and the self-taught. You can be a musician, poet, photographer, food entrepreneur, dancer or performer, or through many other avenues. If you have an idea for how to or socially impact and build the creative community, so we want to support it! We also want to ensure that this idea is grounded in the Woonsocket community.
What We’re Looking For
- Local community members interested in offering classes, events, and opportunities at 40 South Main Street aimed at creating a creative culture in the Millrace District.
- People to host one-time or a series of activities in our pop-up underground café or at the formal event space at 40 South Main Street, Woonsocket.
- People that are community-minded and self-motivated.
Type of Events We Would Love to Support
- Music, art, writing, creative workshops, and classes (yes, you can charge participants for your expertise as long as it’s reasonable)
- Poetry slams, mic nights, pop-up galleries, food demos, networking nights
Type of Events We Won’t Be Able to Support
- Pop-up retail shops, flea markets, and other vendor fairs
- Events with product sales as a main feature or events with more than 3 vendors
- Seating for 20 people
- Sound system and microphones
- Ideal for smaller, intimate events
Formal Event Space
- 125 person capacity
- Access to projector and sound system
- 6′ round tables, long folding tables, and high top tables available to meet a varity of set up needs
- Ideal for larger and more formal events
How It Works
- Submit an application with your idea through our website. Call 401-257-6152 if you have issues with the application. Applications will be available until October 1, 2018.
- Staff will select applications based on applicability to creative placemaking values, thoughtfulness of idea, detail of application, scheduling requirements, and program feasibility. Sometimes we may contact the applicant if additional information is needed.
- Grantee signs agreement and abides by parameters outlined in agreement.
- NWBRV will aid in supporting event if needed.
- Host your event and help us to create a more active and engaged creative community!