Unique Home Ownership Opportunity
Dreaming of owning a brand new home? This may be your chance!
We are launching the second phase of our Self-Help Housing soon and looking for great candidates!
NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley (NWBRV) is offering families the opportunity to own their own homes in Pascoag, RI through a program called “Self Help Housing”. The homes will be part of a 30 home street on a cul de sac built by NWBRV. Each home will be built on .3 acres and homeowners can help chose their home design, colors, and finishes.
The USDA is offering a generous financing package through their Mutual Self Help Housing program that includes a low interest rate mortgage and reduced purchase cost. In exchange, families commit to 30-35 hours of work building the homes per week until completion.
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate has:
- a desire to learn how to build their own home
- 30-35 hours a week of time (per family) to contribute to the building process
- the ability to work on a team or in a team setting
In order to be considered, you must:
- provide proof of citizenship or Permanent Resident/alien Registration Card
- be purchase ready (We can help you get ready, learn more here)
- be income eligible (see FAQ below)
Application & Selection Process
Applying for the Program is easy!
Step 1 (optional)
Call, email, or fill out an inquiry form on the right sidebar to express your interest in applying. This initial contact helps us get to know you better and gives us an opportunity to explain the program in more depth. Questions are encouraged, so ask away!
Fill out a pre-application form indicating your interest in applying (Mutual Self Help Application 2016) along with $25/adult in your household for an initial credit pull. After processing your application, a NWBRV staff member will notify you if you are approved to move forward.
If you aren’t ready just yet, don’t worry! Our team of experienced housing & financial coaches will work with you to get you ready for home ownership so that you may be eligible to buy down the line.
If you are chosen to continue, you will be required to submit additional information and documentation to NWBRV and the USDA to obtain a mortgage and enter the program.
Timeline for Project
Applications for the project are being accepted on a rolling basis and can be sent to Daynah Williams (email@example.com). Candidates must be approved for a USDA loan to qualify. Construction will begin after candidates have been selected and assigned to teams.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please check back here throughout the application period to learn more about frequently asked questions and their answers.
- Must I live in Burrillville? You do not have to live in Burrillville to apply, but all the homes will be built in Burrillville, RI.
- Do I need construction experience? No, we will have a construction supervisor on site to direct the group.
- Can closing costs be financed into the loan? Yes, they can.
- Does NWBRV own any interest in the home? No, the price of the home includes the land. This is different than many of NWBRV’s other home ownership opportunities.
- Are you required to escrow property taxes and home owner’s insurance? Yes, per USDA guidelines, you are required to escrow both.
- How much is required for the down payment? Homes built through this program require no down payment.
- Do you only work on one home at a time? Families will work in teams building several homes at the same time. No one home will be built faster than the others.
- What do I need for income to be eligible? Gross household income must fall at or below the following guidelines:
|Number in Household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|