We are pleased to announce that work has finally begun on 40 South Main Street in Woonsocket at the site of the former Mulvey’s Hardware Store. We are currently in the demolition stage which includes shoring the property, environmental remediation, and the removal of hazards such as lead and asbestos.
An Iconic Gateway
The epitome of Main Street redevelopment best practices, the gateway project will create a hub of activity for the Downtown commercial district including:
- six loft-style apartments for an individual or couple earning about $30,000/year;
- a 3,000 SF culinary incubator for up to 25 new food businesses with top-of-the-line kitchen equipment from Hobart Commercial Appliance, who will also use the kitchen as a regional showcase and training center for their sales reps;
- 2,500 SF of artist studio space at the back of the building;
- 2,600 SF of indoor event and exhibition space with the capacity to host up to 417 people; and
- a 4,200 SF open-air plaza to host public markets and events that will bring regular activity to downtown.
NWBRV is working with local construction company, Nationwide Construction, on the project, which will employ about 25 people throughout the construction project. Additional jobs and spin-off spending will also contribute to the local economy upon project completion.
In the News
With demolition kicking off, the project has been featured in both the Valley Breeze and Woonsocket Call in April.