Don’t pay for tax prep assistance! Rhode Island residents earning $54,000 or less annually can access free tax prep services from local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites.
Beginning in January, VITA sites statewide began offering free tax prep assistance. Funded by United Way of Rhode Island (UWRI), the VITA program ensures that those who earn less than $54,000 annually have access to tax services in order to receive the money they are due in refunds and credits.
Each VITA site is certified by the IRS and utilizes volunteer tax preparation experts. Many of the sites offer services in both English and Spanish (other languages also available). The sites file electronically to expedite the return of refunds to those who need it most.
Rhode Islanders looking to take advantage of the VITA program should review the list below or contact United Way 2-1-1 in Rhode Island by dialing 2-1-1 to find a VITA site in their community.
Appointments are necessary at most sites and the program will continue through mid-April. Select sites offer evening and weekend hours.
Locations for Free Tax Prep Assistance
- Progreso Latino at 626 Broad Street (401) 728-5920
- YWCA of Greater RI at 324 Broad Street (401) 722-3010
- Lincoln Public Library at 114 Old River Road (401) 766-2300
- BVCAP Woodlawn Community Center at 210 West Avenue (401) 475-2632
- Connecting for Children & Families at 46 Hope Street (401) 766-3384
- Community Care Alliance at 245 Main Street (401) 766-0900
Using Your Return to Meet Financial Goals
Wondering how to best use your tax return to help meet your financial goals? Contact our HomeOwnership Center to set up a one-on-one coaching session today by calling 401-762-0993 ext. 201.