Do you have baking or cooking expertise or a special recipe that your friends just crave? Do you have dreams of working for yourself? Or have a food-based “side hustle” you’re ready to begin?
We’ll we’ve got the solution for you!
How it Works
- You have the technical skill, an idea, time, passion, and a few resources to start your own food business.
- You put in the work and come up with basic business ideas with our help and some Millrace resources. We start you on your way to entrepreneurialism with a business plan, marketing plan, brand, name, and a start-up cost list. All of the business basics that help you determine if the idea can be turned into a profit.
- Once you have a basic idea of what your business is, what you’ll sell, and how you’ll sell it, the Millrace team ensures that you’re following the appropriate state and local guidelines for your business. This includes getting your food safety managers certificate, putting together your menu, getting your products tested (if applicable), and support through the process of getting licensed by the RI Department of Health to conduct your business out of the Millrace Kitchen.
- You work closely with Millrace staff to become fully licensed business and start booking time in the kitchen to make the food products and sell them! The start-up timeline depends on you and how long it takes for you to get it all established.
- You work to grow and develop your small business, participate in special member-only events, learn, and work hard!
It’s hard but seriously rewarding work. The collaborative environment Millrace environment affords you the opportunity to learn and experiment with a safety net of support. Millrace takes care of the big bills like equipment, gas, and chemicals. You get to focus on learning your own expenses, target marketing, and doing more of what you love.
A Little Help Goes a Long Way
We also provide some financial assistance through Project Reinvest. Approved individuals can actually earn credit toward start up costs by attending educational workshops. It’s a win-win! You get great insights into your business AND funds to support your next steps. For more information on the financial assistance program, contact Tamara.
Millrace seeks to support local small business owners to foster a culture of food and community in Downtown Woonsocket. So if you or you know someone who has had a food business on their “plate”, please send them our way!