Since 2016, the Accessing Home initiative has boosted organizational capacity to provide supportive services to low-income families by deploying AmeriCorps members across Rhode Island. AmeriCorps members are certified as Resident Services Coordinators and deliver housing stabilization services, from one-on-one benefits screenings to landlord education workshops. Benefits to our service sites include:
- partners help families secure and maintain homes
- housing providers improve their portfolios’ bottom lines by increasing collections and reducing turnover
- partners cultivate new housing professionals for their organizations
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs that improves lives and fosters civic engagement. AmeriCorps members commit to a year of intensive community service and address critical needs like poverty. For their service, AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance, an education award and other benefits.
Accessing Home AmeriCorps members serve specifically in the fields of affordable housing and community development. Hosted by nonprofit and municipal partners, our AmeriCorps members address housing instability by delivering a variety of services including:
- Advocating for tenants at risk of eviction by negotiating payment plans and providing important resource referrals
- Educating tenants on issues of rights and responsibilities; facilitating public education workshops
- Helping individuals and families apply for subsidized housing
- Providing financial coaching, including budgeting and credit help, to households looking to build wealth
- Assisting homeless individuals and families in finding suitable housing, building life skills, developing resumes, accessing job training, and obtaining services
- Educating community landlords on the Housing Choice Voucher program
- Recruiting volunteers, providing community outreach and making referrals
Ready to Apply?
Applications to host Accessing Home AmeriCorps members are due June 1, 2021. Review the Accessing Home Service Site Application Instructions, 2021-2022 before applying. Interested organizations must complete the Accessing Home Service Site Application, 2021-2022 and submit via email to Joyce Welch, Accessing Home Program Manager. Applications must include a tailored Accessing Home Service Description Template for each requested AmeriCorps member and the Service Site guarantee page with the initials and signature of someone authorized to make decisions on behalf of your organization.
Please email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions may also be directed to Joyce. She can be reached by e-mail or phone (401-762-0993 ext. 205).