Since 2016, the Accessing Home initiative has boosted organizational capacity to provide supportive services to low-income families by deploying AmeriCorps members across Rhode Island. AmeriCorps members are certified as Resident Services Coordinators and deliver housing stabilization services, from one-on-one benefits screenings to landlord education workshops. Benefits to our service sites include:
- partners help families secure and maintain homes
- housing providers improve their portfolios’ bottom lines by increasing collections and reducing turnover
- partners cultivate new housing professionals for their organizations
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs that improves lives and fosters civic engagement. AmeriCorps members commit to a year of intensive community service and address critical needs like poverty. For their service, AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance, an education award and other benefits.
Accessing Home AmeriCorps members serve specifically in the fields of affordable housing and community development. Hosted by nonprofit and municipal partners, our AmeriCorps members address housing instability by delivering a variety of services. Accessing Home is a cost-share partnership, in which all parties contribute to the success and outcomes of the housing stabilization work at your organization. Investment by the host-site and the community is fundamental to the success of this program.
What you Contribute:
- $12,000 per member ($1,000 paid to NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley on a monthly basis)
- Office space and equipment (e.g., desk, computer, internet, phone, and related resources)
- On-site supervision and logistical support
- Semi-annual program reporting on identified performance measures and grant deliverables
- Position-specific training
- Mileage reimbursement for travel from office to property sites (if applicable)
What you Receive:
- Capacity building services identified as most critical to your organization, including: financial coaching, increasing on-time rental payments, recruiting volunteers, and/or cash or in-kind donations that your AmeriCorps member generates for your organization
- Full-time Accessing Home AmeriCorps member(s) to serve with your organization for 12 months. All Accessing Home members receive a living allowance and other benefits at no cost to your organization
- Assistance with recruiting and onboarding Accessing Home AmeriCorps members
- Payroll services – Members receive their living allowance checks directly from NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley
- A RISCC certified Resident Service Coordinator by the completion of program year
- Consistent support from the Accessing Home Program Manager with supervision of your member through monthly one-on-one member check-ins
Ready to Apply?
Applications to host Accessing Home AmeriCorps members are due May 12, 2023. Review the Accessing Home Service Site Application Instructions, before applying. Interested organizations must complete the Accessing Home Service Site Application and submit via email to Tyler Martin, Accessing Home Program Manager. Applications must include a tailored Accessing Home Service Description Template for each requested AmeriCorps member and the Service Site guarantee page with the initials and signature of someone authorized to make decisions on behalf of your organization.
Please email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions may also be directed to Tyler. He can be reached by e-mail or phone (401) 257-6083.